Sunday, September 04, 2005

Back from the dead



A shot of Chisinau near the Peace Corps office. You can see the lines for the electric bus system overhead, and the old soviet style apartment buildings.


Hi folks,
Sorry it has been so long since the last update, but for those of you who still actually check the account, I will try to post with more regularity now. The is only one internet connected computer that is publicly available in my region, and close to 50,000 people, so getting time has been a bit interesting, that along with the fact that this computer is 30 minutes by car from my house.
Anyway, I am safely in my new village, and have started working in my school. I helped "repair" my school, which was an interesting process. Due to financial constraints, things are more frequently painted over rather than actually repaired. My school was built in the 60s, and is in reasonably good condition, especially now that the new heating system has been installed. The expression "everything looks perfect from far away" is perfect for describing many things in Moldova though. Every year everything in the school receives a fresh coat of paint, thus everything is "framos" (romanian for beautiful). There are some problems with this though. The major one being that all of the windows have been painted shut. Thus, you can't open the windows.....ever.....and there is no air handling system in the building. This makes my classroom somewhat fragrant. I actually have my own classroom though, which is a wonderful thing, and will make my work that much easier.
Teaching during practice school in my training village.

Tomorrow will be my first real class at my school, three classes to be more precise, completely in Romanian. Should be interesting to say the least. I did well at my end of training evaluation for language, but there is a large difference between a test and real life. Throw in the fact that the kids use incorrect grammar, talk fast, and actually speak a mix of romanina & Russian and my life gets real interesting. Hopefully it will all improve as my language does. I think I just need to get through the first six months without losing my mind.
Outside of school life is pretty darn good. My host family is great, a single mom and little brother......along with a cow, 8 pigs, 10 chickens, 4 dogs, and 7 geese. Needless to say, you always watch were you step when you are outside. My host mom is also a teacher, Romanian grammar among other things, which is great and horrible and the same time. My language will improve fairly quickly I feel, as long as I can continue to tolerate being continually corrected. Every once and a while though, a could use a quite meal without a grammar lesson.
She really does mean well though, and all other aspects of life are nearly blissful. All of the horror stories from other volunteer families simply aren't true in my house. They respect my privacy (remember there is no word for the concept of privacy in Romanian), they let me cook (unheard of for men generally), and they both speak slowly and clearly, and never seem to lose patience with my infantile language.
We spent over 12 hours harvesting potatoes yesterday, and though it was a lot of hard work, we generally laughed and had fun the whole time. We talked about life, told jokes, sang songs, and generally made the spine deforming process fairly enjoyable. I really do feel lucky to be where I am.
I will try and post again soon, hope all is well in the states, and in the rest of Moldova. My condolences to those affected by the recent storms in the southern US. I hope that the recovery effort gets a little more steam behind it and that things get cleaned up as quickly as possible.

Kids practicing gymnastics outside my school in my training village.

2 comments:

Kimber said...

Them Eastern Euro kids are crazy with their gymnastics! The Russians on s/v Pallada were doing all kinds of impressive stunts...

Thanks for the pics and updates on your blog! You are doing great things!!!

Stephanie said...

Such an adventure! Wendy and I are missing you and hoping you don't meet any women over there who might replace the fiance you have here (now that'll start some rumours). Things are fine here, just hot and trivial as usual. Thanks for keeping us posted. I am living my adventure vicariously through you right now.