Friday, September 23, 2005

Hai la hora noastra!!

So I just got back from chaperoning a middle school dance....... I didn’t really realize that I would be chaperoning, but as I was the only adult in the building for most of the time, I guess I was in charge. Ok, so the assistant principal was out on the front porch of the school, but I was still amazed at the level of supervision that was not present. Realistically though, it wasn’t needed. The kids set up and ran the whole thing themselves, kept each other in line, and cleaned the place up when they were done. It’s amazing what a group of preteens is capable of.

Anyway, back to the awkwardness of being the lone adult/American at the weekend “disco”.

Actually it was kind of fun. I got to witness first hand the awkward slow dancing of 13 year olds. Mix that in with the fact that these kids have gone their whole lives only witnessing white people dance, and the whole evening was nothing but rap infused europop, with a little techno on the side. The highlight of this musical bouillabaisse was the “crazy frog” song. This “catchy tune” is a thumping techno remix of the theme song from Beverly Hills Cop, mixed with random interludes of the “crazy frog” making weird bleeping noises (think-Alvin from the chipmunks, on speed, having convulsions while trying to sing). Despite the fact that each reiteration (10 time in a 2 hour span) was greeted by squeals of joy (in that particular octave that only 10-14 year old girls can achieve), I will be happy to have this one quietly fade from the charts.

As I said, I did have fun. After a while I got over the “fish bowl” feeling and just had fun dancing with the kids. I was able to make a fool of myself dancing the “hora”, which is an amazingly simple traditional Moldovan circle dance, though I seem unable to grasp the oh so difficult concept of “four steps to the right, two to the left”.

No comments: